Thursday 7 April 2011

Let's Fake Bake it up!!

Good evening!!
This a post dedicated to all my beauties who, like moi, haven't been fortunate enough to have been out enjoying the gorgeous sunshine over the past few days :(
But never fear, I've heard the weekend's gonna be a sunny one too, better get your Fake Bake at the ready!
Apologies for the delay on this review, I wanted to test this out for a few nights before deciding if I liked the product or not.


For me there's nothing worse than white milk bottle legs at the beginning of summer. So I'm a big fan of fake tan. Actually it's not just in summer, who am I trying to kid?! I'm a faker all year around....

Fake Bake's Beyond Bronze is a refreshing alternative to my usual BBF (best beauty find) St Tropez. I have to admit, I was a little sceptical about trying a new fake tan brand, I have been using St Tropez for about 3 years now.... old faithful <3 
However, my beauty budget for the month has been dramatically slashed as I have a poorly pooch and a vet bill of BIG BUCKS! (For those of you who know Liza Maggs, don't panic she is still her silly self, just an old lady now who needs a little extra TLC!)



I bought Fake Bake 207mls on offer in Boots, it's usually £20.45, which is the same price I pay for St Tropez 120mls. This week I paid £13.61 for Fake Bake Beyond Bronze, plus I got points on my boots card too :)

So, my first experience of Fake Bake wasn't a brilliant one. It comes in a can much like a hair mousse can, and comes out the same way as hair mousse too. I'm not used to using hair mousse so I didn't realise how important it is to to SHAKE THE CAN!!!
Consequently... little brown spots all over my cream carpet and up the wall. Oh dear (luckily a generous smothering of Vanish and some nail varnish remover seems to have shifted my mess). 
I also didn't realise that the mousse expands ALOT, and a little really does go a long way. So at first I found it quite tricky and hard to get used to.

So, in a nutshell here's what you beauties need to know about Fake Bake....

The fab things:

  • It feels nice and creamy, doesn't dry your skin out or feel sticky, and doesn't smell of anything really (some fake tans have a really sickly stench).
  • You can see exactly where your applying, and it dries mega quickly.
  • It doesn't streak, especially after you've had a shower it looks really natural.
  • If you wash your hands with soap and warm water straight away it wont stain, so you don't need to use gloves or a mitt (I always think tanning products go on better when applied with hands). It's actually better than St Tropez for this. 
  • It's a good one to use if you have really fair skin, it's not too dark on first application so you can apply more to get a darker tan. 


And then there's the not so fab things:
  • Drying quickly can be a problem, it literally dries in seconds so you have to rub it in evenly as fast as you can.
  • It wasn't as dark as I had hoped on first application. In fact, even after 2 or 3 applications, I still didn't feel "tanned". I was quite disappointed by this.
  • The colour that I did achieve, didn't seem to last long, and after a couple of hot showers was pretty much gone...
  • I didn't like the dispenser on the can, or the fact that the product expanded so much. It was also a little messy as the mousse carries on coming out of the dispenser as it expands, so don't put it down anywhere silly like on your bed (another lesson learnt by moi). But I also think this is just a case of getting used to it. 
Anyway beauties, sorry for the rambley review, I don't think it's one I'll be buying again or recommending to you lovies.
Xx










No comments:

Post a Comment